Monday, May 11, 2009

Pin Up Girl




Tiny, detailed, mysterious, old fashioned. Okay, so it's mostly the old fashioned that makes me love the idea of fraternity pins. Magically, the shining bits of metal and paint emerge glistening and pure from the reality of stale beer, smelly couches, and hungover guys that I encountered in my daily walk to campus my first 2 years of college.

I've dated several fraternity boys in their post-college years, but somehow managed to keep buried my secret desire to sport their respective pins on a cardigan or some frothy dress. The choice to romantically pursue me requires a high tolerance for vintage. However, I knew bursting into a verse of "One Boy" as Kim in Bye Bye Birdie would more likely produce an eye roll than an eager agreement that getting pinned would make us seem just like Gidget and Moondoggie!

Frat-boy free at the moment, I still find myself charmed by the diminutive decorations, but with no particular allegiance, I find myself wanting to gather them into a fun and versatile statement piece! There's something about the idea of clumping them together - a Sigma Chi buddy-ing up to a Pi Kappa Alpha, Phi Kappa Psi mingling blissfully with whomever I choose - that creates a laid-back homage to precious years. Though collecter sites have some high-dollar options, Ebay has reasonable lots under $10, or eye-catching individuals for a little less. Thrift stores also have a variety, including fraternal orders outside the frame of learning institutions.

It's my subtle take on the John Belushi "COLLEGE" shirt - you didn't have to live in an Animal House to smile at the image, and you didn't have to go through hazing to appreciate the coolness of these little pins!

No comments:

Post a Comment